LICU-SSEDAT II – Promoting Economic Diversification through Entrepreneurship, Capacity Building and Inclusive financing!
LICU – Small Scale Enterprise Development in Agriculture and Tourism for the Orange Walk and Corozal Communities (LICU-SSEDAT)
Executive Summary of the Action
On April 18, 2012 LICU was awarded a grant by the European Union through the Contracting Authority, the Ministry of Economic Development of Belize, for the implementation of the Action titled “Small Scale Enterprise Development in Agriculture and Tourism for the Orange Walk and Corozal Rural Communities II” (LICU-SSEDAT II). The specific objective of the action is to enhance the living conditions of communities in northern Belize through MSE development and micro-financial support services.
The expected results of the action are:
- Strengthened institutional capacities of LICU to deliver superior business development support services;
- Enhanced competitiveness, market linkages and networking;
- Strengthened MSEs, cultural and producer groups; and,
- Increased awareness of EU, GoB and LICU social responsibility
As at May 31, 2014, the project had been staffed with a Project Coordinating Unit (PCU) comprised of a Project Coordinator (PC), Administrative Assistant/Accountant (AA/A), Micro-Finance Field Officer (MFFO) and Service Providers (SP) as required. LICU has been providing its own staff time as contribution for the implementation and supervision of the project.
Project Steering Committee:
A Project Steering Committee (PSC) was appointed on June 15, 2012 and is comprised of the following persons:
- LICU General Manager
- Two other representatives of LICU
- District Agriculture Coordinator – Corozal
- District Agriculture Coordinator – Orange Walk
- Rural Community Development Officer – Corozal
- Rural Community Development Officer – Orange Walk
- Representative – BELTRAIDE
- Representative – Belize Tourism Industry Association